Chief Digital Information Officer (CDIO) Secure Design Lead - Lichfield
HM Land Registry
*compare my salary
About the Job
Here at Chief Digital Information Office (CDIO) we recognise the need for a change in the way we do business to remove bureaucracy, improve our agility and maximise our investment in the front-line.
We are looking for a highly skilled and motivated cyber security professional to join the team at CDIO which will help build a positive Cyber culture at all levels in the DMS and champion a common cyber security vision to deliver the DMS Digital Strategy.
This position will be based at DMS Whittington and is 37 hours a week. The successful candidates new to the Civil Service will be appointed on the minimum of the advertised salary band.
The Defence Medical Services offer hybrid working. The HQ and primary location for the DMS is Lichfield. Other base locations may be available depending on business need and whether the location can accommodate additional personnel on site. Other locations that may be considered are MOD Corsham, RAF Wyton, MOD Abbey Wood – Bristol, MOD Northwood and MOD Shrivenham.
Does this sound like the role for you? If so, we would love to hear from you!
Strategic Command Transformation
Strategic Command is going through a significant transformation programme which aims to improve the way the Command conducts its business and delivers for Defence and the nation. As a consequence of this, all posts within Strategic Command Headquarters and in time the wider organisation, are/will be subject to review and potential changes as we continuously improve across the period of the transformation programme. These changes may be minor or could be more substantive and will generate new opportunities. Throughout, the Command’s transformation programme is committed to following the MOD’s framework on managing and supporting people through the change process and places an emphasis on early and open consultation and engagement with the Command’s personnel and Trade Unions.
The successful candidate will be providing assurance to ensure that security is embedded in all stages of the application development life cycle, and that there is continuous monitoring through use. They will advise on and test the efficiency of measures to build security into continuous integration and deployment pipelines. In addition, the role will understand and mitigate cyber-related risks and ensure ‘Secure Design’ of Information Technology (IT) systems and applications providing advice to help Senior Responsible Owners (SRO’s) and Capability Owners make well informed risk-based decisions. To achieve these outcomes, the role is expected to advise and enable technical teams to make security decisions and influence key organisational and architectural decisions.
Main details of the role include but are not limited to:
- Managing the embedment of ‘secure by design’ principles into application development by providing specialist internal consultancy and integrating security tools, standards, and processes into product life cycles.
- Providing tailored advice to a range of stakeholders on how to remedy identified risks by proportionately applying security capabilities, using published guidance, standards, and drawing on a range of experts as well as personal expertise.
- Ensuring appropriate channels for vulnerability disclosure exist in line with policy, and any bounty programme is effectively managed to ensure identified vulnerabilities are quickly remediated.
- Leading the technical design of systems and services, justifying and communicating all design decisions, applying research and innovative security architecture solutions to new or existing problems.
- Undertaking cyber risk management activities within the project.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Managing a Quality Service
- Seeing the Big Picture
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Skills Framework for an Information Age (SFIA) Information Security (SCTY) Level 4
- Skills Framework for an Information Age (SFIA) Information Assurance (INAS) Level 4
Alongside your salary of £43,080, Ministry of Defence contributes £11,631 towards you being a member of the Civil Service Defined Benefit Pension scheme. Find out what benefits a Civil Service Pension provides.
- Free Car Parking
- Onsite Shop and Canteen
- A culture encouraging Inclusion and Diversity
- Access to Civil Service Pension
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles (opens in a new window), and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
This job role may be suitable for hybrid working, which is an informal, non-contractual and voluntary arrangement, blending a balance of attendance in the workplace (your permanent duty station which is based on business assessment of where the work is best done) and working from home as a personal choice (if the role is suitable for this). If you are successful, any opportunities for hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post.
Requests to work flexibly and/or part time will be considered, taking into account business needs. Please note the salary will be pro-rata where part time hours are undertaken.
Please see the link to our Youtube channel for advice preparing your best responses with some hints and tips on answering behaviour based questions. Hints and tips such as: Your behaviours can be based on situations from work, volunteering or home; match your situation to the behaviour requested and how to use your 250-word limit.
Defence Medical Services - YouTube
The sift will be completed within 5 working days of the vacancy closing date. Interviews will be held on a date to be confirmed.
There will be no reimbursement for any travel expenses for the interview.
This post does not offer any assistance with relocation allowances.
All employees joining Ministry of Defence who are new to the Civil Service will be subject to a 6-month probation period (unless otherwise advised) effective from the employment start date. Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
As a result of the changes to the UK immigration rules which came into effect on 1 January 2021, the Ministry of Defence will only offer sponsorship for a skilled worker visa under the points based system, where a role has been deemed to be business critical. This role does not meet that category and we will not sponsor a visa. It is therefore NOT open to applications from those who will require sponsorship under the points based system.
Should you apply for this role and be found to require sponsorship, your application will be rejected and any provisional offer of employment withdrawn.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
If you need to advise us that you need additional help or reasonable adjustments for the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Successful candidates must undergo a criminal record check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check (opens in a new window).See our vetting charter (opens in a new window).
People working with government assets must complete baseline personnel security standard (opens in new window) checks.
This Job Is Broadly Open To The Following Groups
- UK nationals
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and family members of those nationalities with settled or pre-settled status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS) (opens in a new window)
- nationals of the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and family members of those nationalities who have made a valid application for settled or pre-settled status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- individuals with limited leave to remain or indefinite leave to remain who were eligible to apply for EUSS on or before 31 December 2020
- Turkish nationals, and certain family members of Turkish nationals, who have accrued the right to work in the Civil Service
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code (opens in a new window) sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles (opens in a new window).
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
The Civil Service also offers a Redeployment Interview Scheme to civil servants who are at risk of redundancy, and who meet the minimum requirements for the advertised vacancy.
Apply and further information
This vacancy is part of the Great Place to Work for Veterans (opens in a new window) initiative.
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
- Name : Angela Graves
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email : DBSCivPers-SGDMSResourcing@mod.gov.uk
Please see the Further Information Document.
At The Hidden Market we're committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, read our policy here. We inform clients that candidates should be evaluated on merit of their skills, experience and commercial attributes in relation to the role, and not background, disability, race, age, gender, sexual orientation, education, or any other discriminatory factor.