Defence Digital – Head of IT Service Management – MODCloud Official - Corsham
HM Land Registry
*compare my salary
About the Job
Defence Digital (DD), part of Strategic Command, fulfils an important role in the age of information warfare within the Ministry of Defence (MOD). We provide digital and technology services to our Armed Forces, ensuring they can operate securely via various communication means including radio, satellite, and internet. Operating at scale, with an annual budget in excess of £2Bn and a diverse team of 2,500 colleagues, we're aiming to make our Armed Forces some of the most technologically advanced in the world.
If you can see yourself contributing to the world of Defence digital and technology, the next chapter of your career may be with us!
A Market Skills Allowance of up to £13,000 per annum, paid in increments, is payable for this post linked to performance, training, professional development and an assessment of contribution to team objectives.
This position is advertised at 37 hours per week.
Strategic Command is going through a significant transformation programme which aims to improve the way the Command conducts its business and delivers for Defence and the nation. As a consequence of this, all posts within Strategic Command Headquarters and in time the wider organisation, are/will be subject to review and potential changes as we continuously improve across the period of the transformation programme. These changes may be minor or could be more substantive and will generate new opportunities. Throughout, the Command’s transformation programme is committed to following the MOD’s framework on managing and supporting people through the change process and places an emphasis on early and open consultation and engagement with the Command’s personnel and Trade Unions.
As the Head of IT Service Management, you will be one of six senior positions in the Official CLOUD project and will represent the IT Service Management function, responsible for setting the vision and ensuring processes are owned and matured. You will have the opportunity to input and shape the direction of Operational Service Management for the Official Cloud platforms. Helping build and run one of the most critical components of the Defence Digital backbone.
You will lead and direct teams within the Service Management function and be accountable for driving service governance, quality, and continual improvements for all processes, metrics and setting Service level agreements (SLAs). In this role you will be the primary escalation point for the business in relation to business-as-usual services and responsible for the effective management of the service delivery function.
This position will lead a team of internal and external Service Management resources, be the Product Owner and will provide the team with service management direction and guidance to produce solutions. In addition, you will focus the team on what is most important in the delivery of products and services.
In return, you will benefit from excellent learning and development opportunities tailored to your role and beyond. Whilst in post, you’ll be able to gain industry recognised qualifications and more and we’ll support you throughout the process. You’ll also be able to take advantage of our excellent benefits package, including flexible working, generous leave allowance and a market-leading Civil Service pension.
Our team is a leader in Defence, working in a busy and exciting environment, so now is a great time to join us and become part of our journey!
- Represent the IT Service Management function, responsible for setting the vision and strategic direction for the team, ensuring processes are owned and matured.
- Lead and direct teams within the Service Management function, across different suppliers, as well as Civil Servants and military personnel where applicable.
- Accountable for, and holding suppliers to account for, driving service governance, quality and continual improvements for all processes, driving metrics and setting Service level agreements (SLAs).
- Primary escalation point for the business in relation to business-as-usual services, responsibility for the effective management of the service delivery function across Defence Digital and the wider business.
- Ensure that customer relationships are maintained and enable value through the services we provide.
- Ensure our processes are aligned with the Service Integration and Management (SIAM) and Operational Service Management (OSM) principles.
- Support process governance by conducting adequate service reviews to address performance, risks and issues with the process leads and suppliers (where necessary).
- Coach and mentor the team in the Service Management Framework and agile methodology, whist maintaining best practice.
- Focus the team on customer outcomes, ensuring what is most important is achieved in the delivery of products and services.
- Line management and development responsibility of staff.
This position may be suitable for individuals with relevant skills and experience or progression from previous Service Management or other SIAM-related roles; or suitable for individuals with appropriate skills gained in a different environment, such as IT security management, risk management, change management or project management.
Who Are We Looking For
- The ability to represent the IT service management function at a senior level.
- Able to act as an escalation point for business stakeholders.
- Capable of maintaining a positive attitude in a busy environment.
- Inspire passion to drive change and provide excellent customer service.
- Strong knowledge of ITIL framework and core processes.
- Previous experience of Service Management and demonstrable experience in leading a team (virtually and geographically).
- Knowledge of leading Cloud Services.
- Have a good understanding of Agile methodologies.
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills, with wide engagement at a range of levels, working collaboratively with internal and external partners on complex projects.
- ITIL V4
Dependent on the business need, there may be a requirement to travel to meetings within the UK (or potentially occasional overseas visits).
This job role may be suitable for hybrid working, which is an informal, non-contractual and voluntary arrangement, blending a balance of attendance in the workplace (your permanent duty station which is based on business assessment of where the work is best done) and working from home as a personal choice (if the role is suitable for this). If you are successful, any opportunities for hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Managing a Quality Service
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Service reporting
- Stakeholder relationship management (IT operations)
- User focus
Alongside your salary of £57,670, Ministry of Defence contributes £15,570 towards you being a member of the Civil Service Defined Benefit Pension scheme. Find out what benefits a Civil Service Pension provides.
- Learning and development tailored to your role with a dedicated minimum of 5 days per year
- 25 days paid annual leave rising (by 1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of five years’ service
- Ability to roll up to 10 days annual leave per year
- In addition to eight public holidays per year, you will also receive leave for HM The King’s birthday
- A Civil Service pension with an average employer contribution of 27%
- Parental and Adoption Leave
- Discounts on a range of services within and external to the civil service – Defence Discount Service, Civil Service societies for Sports and Leisure, Healthcare, Insurance, Motoring, Company discounts with Virgin, Vodafone, and Microsoft Office.
- In year rewards and ‘thank you’ schemes such as vouchers and gift cards
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- Please see Benefits Leaflet for more detail
Defence Digital operates an organisation model in which every individual belongs to a Government Profession. The successful applicant will be posted into one of the defined Government Professions on Standard Terms of Reference for the grade. Defence digital reserves the right to move individuals between roles, within their allocated profession, to meet the needs of the business and in support of agile resourcing.
Within Defence Digital each profession is led by a Professional Head of Community who will lead professional development and support the Continuous Professional Development path for their group.
Defence Digital is currently going through a Transformation Programme which aims to ensure we have the right workforce, with the right skills, to deliver the MOD's Digital Strategy. As the programme progresses, Defence Digital staff may be required to undergo an assessment to understand and develop their upskilling needs to support the delivery of this strategy. This post may be impacted by Transformation.
Please Note: Expenses incurred for travel to interviews will not be reimbursed.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
Any move to MOD from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax-Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/.
The Ministry of Defence is committed to providing a safe and healthy working environment for its staff which includes educating them on the benefits of not smoking, protecting them from the harmful effects of second-hand smoke and supporting those who want to give up smoking. Under the Smoke-Free Working Environment policy, Smoking and the use of all tobacco products (including combustible and chewing tobacco products) will not be permitted anywhere in the Defence working environment however some exemptions are in place, please refer to local guidance. The policy is Whole Force and includes all Defence personnel, contractors, visitors and other non-MOD personnel. All applicants seeking, considering, or accepting employment with the Ministry of Defence should be aware of this policy and that it is already in place at a number of Defence Establishments.
MOD Recruitment Satisfaction Survey – we may contact you regarding your experience to help us improve our customer satisfaction. The survey is voluntary and anonymous. You may however be given the opportunity to provide additional information to help us improve our service which includes the collection of some personal data as defined by the United Kingdom General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR). The MOD Privacy Notice sets out how we will use your personal data and your rights.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles (opens in a new window), and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
To apply please complete the CV template provided on the CS Jobs dashboard. You will be assessed against your relevant, skills, knowledge and experience which demonstrates the essential criteria listed within this advert.
All applicants will also need to provide a personal statement (max. 1250 words) and it is essential that this includes evidence of the following essential criteria. Each one will be scored 1-7 and make up part of your overall score to assess your suitability to be invited to interview:
- Demonstrate how you have shown customer focus and prioritisation in IT service delivery.
- Tell us about your experience of delivering an end-to-end service management approach, whilst working in a Managed Service Provider construct.
- Describe your experience of delivering Service management within an Agile construct (SCRUM, SAFe, Kanban et al.)
- Demonstrate your experience of leading and managing a team and/or staff.
Presentation: You will be asked to prepare and deliver a 5-minute max. presentation, further details will be provided prior to interview.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours and technical skills during the interview process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Managing a Quality Service
- Service reporting
- Stakeholder relationship management (IT operations)
- User focus
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria. If you need to advise us that you need additional help or reasonable adjustments for the recruitment process, please contact: DBSCivPers-Resourcingteam3@mod.gov.uk
As a result of the changes to the UK immigration rules which came into effect on 1 January 2021, the Ministry of Defence will only offer sponsorship for a skilled worker visa under the points based system, where a role has been deemed to be business critical.
The role currently being advertised has not been assessed as business critical and is therefore NOT open to applications from those who will require sponsorship under the points based system. Should you apply for this role and be found to require sponsorship, your application will be rejected and any provisional offer of employment withdrawn.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Successful candidates must undergo a criminal record check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check (opens in a new window).See our vetting charter (opens in a new window).
People working with government assets must complete baseline personnel security standard (opens in new window) checks.
This Job Is Broadly Open To The Following Groups
- UK nationals
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and family members of those nationalities with settled or pre-settled status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS) (opens in a new window)
- nationals of the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and family members of those nationalities who have made a valid application for settled or pre-settled status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- individuals with limited leave to remain or indefinite leave to remain who were eligible to apply for EUSS on or before 31 December 2020
- Turkish nationals, and certain family members of Turkish nationals, who have accrued the right to work in the Civil Service
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code (opens in a new window) sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles (opens in a new window).
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
The Civil Service also offers a Redeployment Interview Scheme to civil servants who are at risk of redundancy, and who meet the minimum requirements for the advertised vacancy.
Apply and further information
This vacancy is part of the Great Place to Work for Veterans (opens in a new window) initiative.
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
- Name : Defence Digital Talent Acquisition Team
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email : DBSCivPers-Resourcingteam3@mod.gov.uk
Please ensure you read the attached candidate information document prior to completing your application. Please refer to the attached Candidate Information guide.
At The Hidden Market we're committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, read our policy here. We inform clients that candidates should be evaluated on merit of their skills, experience and commercial attributes in relation to the role, and not background, disability, race, age, gender, sexual orientation, education, or any other discriminatory factor.