Defence Digital – Physical Distribution Clerk - Corsham
HM Land Registry
*compare my salary
About the Job
We are Defence Digital, part of Strategic Command, fulfilling an important role in the age of information warfare within the Ministry of Defence (MOD). We provide digital and technology services to our Armed Forces, ensuring they can operate securely via various communication means including radio, satellite, and the internet. Operating at scale, with an annual budget in excess of £2Bn and a diverse team of 2,500 colleagues, we're aiming to make our Armed Forces some of the most technologically advanced in the world.
If you can see yourself contributing to the world of Defence digital and technology, the next chapter of your career may be with us!
Strategic Command is going through a significant transformation programme which aims to improve the way the Command conducts its business and delivers for Defence and the nation. As a consequence of this, all posts within Strategic Command Headquarters and in time the wider organisation, are/will be subject to review and potential changes as we continuously improve across the period of the transformation programme. These changes may be minor or could be more substantive and will generate new opportunities. Throughout, the Command’s transformation programme is committed to following the MOD’s framework on managing and supporting people through the change process and places an emphasis on early and open consultation and engagement with the Command’s personnel and Trade Unions.
This position is advertised at 37 hours per week.
Crypto Services for Defence (CSD) is a dynamic, fast paced, cyber-focused environment, vastly advancing and developing to meet with emerging technologies, to provide security of MOD data.
You’ll utilise Office 365 applications, along with Remedy and other bespoke MOD IT systems and work across many areas, driving the team to work towards the larger Defence Digital Service Executive Model.
Our commitment to your development is fundamental at Defence Digital. We will provide as many learning opportunities as we can, allowing you to gain industry recognised qualifications, as well as in-house training within your field and beyond. We’ll support your development within the role from day 1.
We don’t expect you to know everything but you’ll need the passion and motivation to learn, allowing us to support your continuous professional development. We also provide great benefits including flexible working, a generous leave allowance, a wide range of discount services and a market-leading Civil Service pension.
A Market Skills allowance of up to £3k per annum is applicable to this role and is paid in increments, upon reaching agreed criteria.
Role will provide support to physical distribution, management, and in-service provision of all Cryptographic services across Defence set within MOD polices.
Role will be employed primarily in the Physical Distribution team but could be employed in the following: Electronic Distribution, Equipment support, Service desk, Key ordering or the Customer Accounts management area in line with CSD Operationally business requirements.
Responsibilities May Include
- Utilising Codes, Receptor and Office 365 applications along with Remedy and other bespoke MOD IT systems
- As part of the job role there will be a requirement to undertake manual handling tasks.
- Management of COMSEC Electronic Key (EKey) delivery to all MOD and FSC (Facilities Security Cleared) accounts.
- Picking, Processing and Dispatching of Physical Key and Equipment in a Warehouse environment.
- Receipting of all Physical Key and Equipment.
- 50/50 Split between IT and Physical workload.
- Ensure all cryptographic material is authorised for issue and work across teams to effect timely delivery.
- Ensure all EKey processes and procedures / local working instructions are updated and stored at the appropriate classification and reviewed annually.
- Coordinate and support implementation of continuous improvement across CSD and the wider C&DC, supporting the organisational design work as and when this is implemented.
- Assist with the Business Continuity Plans (BCP) to assure resilience across the business so that the corporate function of operations is maintained during times of BCP initiation.
- Working closely with the Knowledge & Information Manager to ensure appropriate record keeping / audit trails are kept to a high standard.
- Build positive and effective relationships across CSD, C&DC and wider stakeholders to enable business goals to be efficiently and effectively delivered.
- Assist in preparing Management Information (MI), including analysis, for regular management meetings, then disseminating relevant information to the wider department/organisation when required.
- Provide functional support to the CSD workforce including preparing document for recruitment boards, providing job descriptions for new posts, onboarding and general ongoing personnel management.
If you have the following knowledge, skills, and experience, we would love to hear from you!
- Good attention to detail required for dispatching Physical Cryptographic material.
- Ability to use own initiative to plan and prioritise work in order to meet deadlines in an ever-changing fast paced operational environment.
- Ability to make effective decisions and recommendations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- A desire to continue to learn and develop whilst remaining flexible to train and undertake other AO roles within the business as and when required.
- A role focused on communicating effectively internally and externally with customers and stakeholders.
- Good IT skills
- A confident driver, content to drive on motorways.
- Ability to work effectively in an inclusive and diverse team of Military and Civilian staff.
Dependent on the business need, there will be a requirement to travel to external meetings, undertake courier duties, attend customer sites or visit other places of work at short notice, therefore a full (manual) UK driving licence is essential, as public transport is rarely available.
Allowances - A Market Skills allowance of up to £3k per annum may be applicable to this role, paid in increments upon reaching agreed criteria.
As part of the job role there could be a requirement to undertake manual handling tasks.
If not already held, successful candidates will be required to undertake DV clearance. This role is open to sole UK nationals only.
Full UK Driving Licence
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
- Changing and Improving
Alongside your salary of £24,040, Ministry of Defence contributes £6,490 towards you being a member of the Civil Service Defined Benefit Pension scheme. Find out what benefits a Civil Service Pension provides.
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension with an average employer contribution of 27%
- Family Friendly – Maternity, Paternity and Adoption Leave.
- A wide range of discounts – Defence Discount Service, Civil Service societies for Sports and Leisure, Healthcare, Insurance, Motoring, company discounts with Virgin, Vodafone, and Microsoft Office.
- 5 days per year Learning & Development
- In year rewards and ‘thank you’ schemes.
- Flexible working.
- Generous leave allocations.
- Please see Benefits Leaflet or follow this link Discover my benefits for more detail
External recruits who join the MOD who are new to the Civil Service will be subject to a six-month probation period.
Defence Digital operates an organisation model in which every individual belongs to a Government Profession. The successful applicant will be posted into one of the defined Government Professions on Standard Terms of Reference for the grade. Defence Digital reserves the right to move individuals between roles, within their allocated profession, to meet the needs of the business and in support of agile resourcing.
Within Defence Digital each profession is led by a Professional Head of Community who will lead professional development and support the Continuous Professional Development path for their group.
Defence Digital is currently going through a Transformation Programme which aims to ensure we have the right workforce, with the right skills, to deliver the MOD's Digital Strategy. As the programme progresses, Defence Digital staff may be required to undergo an assessment to understand and develop their upskilling needs to support the delivery of this strategy. This post may be impacted by Transformation.
Equality and Diversity
Our people are at the heart of everything we do at Defence Digital. It’s vital that our workforce reflects the diversity of both our audience and the wider society in the UK, so we’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and we actively seek candidates from diverse backgrounds and communities. We also recognise the importance of a good work life balance, so we do everything we can to accommodate flexible working, including part-time and job shares for all our roles. Please let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process if this is something you want to explore.
Please Note: Expenses incurred for travel to interviews will not be reimbursed.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
Any move to MOD from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax-Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/.
The Ministry of Defence is committed to providing a safe and healthy working environment for its staff which includes educating them on the benefits of not smoking, protecting them from the harmful effects of second-hand smoke and supporting those who want to give up smoking. Under the Smoke-Free Working Environment policy, Smoking and the use of all tobacco products (including combustible and chewing tobacco products) will not be permitted anywhere in the Defence working environment however some exemptions are in place, please refer to local guidance. The policy is Whole Force and includes all Defence personnel, contractors, visitors and other non-MOD personnel. All applicants seeking, considering, or accepting employment with the Ministry of Defence should be aware of this policy and that it is already in place at a number of Defence Establishments.
MOD Recruitment Satisfaction Survey – we may contact you regarding your experience to help us improve our customer satisfaction. The survey is voluntary and anonymous. You may however be given the opportunity to provide additional information to help us improve our service which includes the collection of some personal data as defined by the United Kingdom General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR). The MOD Privacy Notice sets out how we will use your personal data and your rights.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles (opens in a new window), and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
To apply please complete the CV template provided on the CS Jobs dashboard.
You will be assessed against your relevant, skills, knowledge and experience which demonstrates the essential criteria listed within this advert.
All Applicants Will Also Need To Provide a Personal Statement (max. 1250 Words) And It Is Essential That This Includes Evidence Of The Following Essential Criteria. Each One Will Be Scored 1-7 And Make Up Part Of Your Overall Score To Assess Your Suitability To Be Invited To Interview
- Provide an example of when you have used O365 tools in support of your current or recent job role.
- Describe how you have demonstrated strong communication skills, written, presenting and verbally, with customers and colleagues.
- Demonstrate a time when you have delivered a project or a task within a tight deadline.
- Provide an example of your ability to manage workloads, whilst prioritising tasks in an ever changing fast paced environment.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours, experience & technical skills during the interview process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
- Changing & Improving
- You will be asked questions about your experience related to this role.
As a result of the changes to the UK immigration rules which came into effect on 1 January 2021, the Ministry of Defence will only offer sponsorship for a skilled worker visa under the points-based system, where a role has been deemed to be business critical.
The role currently being advertised has not been assessed as business critical and is therefore NOT open to applications from those who will require sponsorship under the points-based system. Should you apply for this role and be found to require sponsorship, your application will be rejected, and any provisional offer of employment withdrawn.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Successful candidates must undergo a criminal record check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is developed vetting (opens in a new window).See our vetting charter (opens in a new window).
People working with government assets must complete baseline personnel security standard (opens in new window) checks.
Successful candidates will be expected to have a medical.
Open to UK nationals only.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code (opens in a new window) sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles (opens in a new window).
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
The Civil Service also offers a Redeployment Interview Scheme to civil servants who are at risk of redundancy, and who meet the minimum requirements for the advertised vacancy.
Apply and further information
This vacancy is part of the Great Place to Work for Veterans (opens in a new window) initiative.
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
- Name : Defence Digital Talent Acquisition Team
- Email : email@example.com
- Email : DBSCivPers-Resourcingteam3@mod.gov.uk
Please ensure you read the attached candidate information document prior to completing your application. Please refer to the attached Candidate Information guide.
At The Hidden Market we're committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, read our policy here. We inform clients that candidates should be evaluated on merit of their skills, experience and commercial attributes in relation to the role, and not background, disability, race, age, gender, sexual orientation, education, or any other discriminatory factor.