Defence Digital - Physical Distribution Clerk - Corsham
UK Ministry of Defence
*compare my salary
About the Job
Would you like to be part of a team supporting the delivery of a range of cutting-edge intelligence applications and services to our armed forces?
A role in Defence is like no other, leading complex teams of military, civil servants and contractors, having a huge remit and influence on the whole of the UK and opening many doors to further opportunities to develop a unique career.
We are Defence Digital, a part of Strategic Command, fulfilling an important role in the age of information warfare within the Ministry of Defence (MOD). We provide digital and technology services to our Armed Forces, ensuring they can operate securely via various communication means including radio, satellite, and the internet. Operating at scale, with an annual budget in excess of £2Bn and a diverse team of 2,500 colleagues, we're aiming to make our Armed Forces some of the most technologically advanced in the world.
Joining Defence Digital (DD) enables you to take advantage of our excellent benefits package, including flexible working, discount schemes, a generous leave allowance and a market-leading Civil Service pension.
Our commitment to your development is fundamental at DD. We’ll provide as many learning opportunities as we can, allowing you to gain industry recognised qualifications, such as ITIL v4, as well as in-house training, within your field and beyond. We’ll support your development within the role from day 1.
If you can see yourself contributing to the world of Defence digital and technology, the next chapter of your career may be with us.
About the role:
Crypto Services for Defence (CSD) is a dynamic, fast paced, cyber-focused environment, vastly advancing and developing to meet with emerging technologies, to provide security of MOD data.
You’ll utilise Office 365 applications, along with Remedy and other bespoke MOD IT systems and work across many areas, driving the team to work towards the larger Defence Digital Service Executive Model.
Our commitment to your development is fundamental at Defence Digital. We will provide as many learning opportunities as we can, allowing you to gain industry recognised qualifications, as well as in-house training within your field and beyond. We’ll support your development within the role from day 1.
We don’t expect you to know everything but you’ll need the passion and motivation to learn, allowing us to support your continuous professional development. We also provide great benefits including flexible working, a generous leave allowance, a wide range of discount services and a market-leading Civil Service pension.
A Market Skills allowance of up to £3k per annum is applicable to this role and is paid in increments, upon reaching agreed criteria.
Role will provide support to physical distribution, management, and in-service provision of all Cryptographic services across Defence set within MOD polices.
Role will be employed primarily in the Physical Distribution team but could be employed in the following: Electronic Distribution, Equipment support, Service desk, Key ordering or the Customer Accounts management area in line with CSD Operationally business requirements.
Responsibilities may include:
- Utilising Codes, Receptor and Office 365 applications along with Remedy and other bespoke MOD IT systems
- As part of the job role there will be a requirement to undertake manual handling tasks.
- Management of COMSEC Electronic Key (EKey) delivery to all MOD and FSC (Facilities Security Cleared) accounts.
- Picking, Processing and Dispatching of Physical Key and Equipment in a Warehouse environment.
- Receipting of all Physical Key and Equipment.
- 50/50 Split between IT and Physical workload.
- Ensure all cryptographic material is authorised for issue and work across teams to effect timely delivery.
- Ensure all EKey processes and procedures / local working instructions are updated and stored at the appropriate classification and reviewed annually.
- Coordinate and support implementation of continuous improvement across CSD and the wider C&DC, supporting the organisational design work as and when this is implemented.
- Assist with the Business Continuity Plans (BCP) to assure resilience across the business so that the corporate function of operations is maintained during times of BCP initiation.
- Working closely with the Knowledge & Information Manager to ensure appropriate record keeping / audit trails are kept to a high standard.
- Build positive and effective relationships across CSD, C&DC and wider stakeholders to enable business goals to be efficiently and effectively delivered.
- Assist in preparing Management Information (MI), including analysis, for regular management meetings, then disseminating relevant information to the wider department/organisation when required.
- Provide functional support to the CSD workforce including preparing document for recruitment boards, providing job descriptions for new posts, onboarding and general ongoing personnel management.
If you have the following knowledge, skills, and experience, we would love to hear from you!
- Good attention to detail required for dispatching Physical Cryptographic material.
- Ability to use own initiative to plan and prioritise work in order to meet deadlines in an ever-changing fast paced operational environment.
- Ability to make effective decisions and recommendations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- A desire to continue to learn and develop whilst remaining flexible to train and undertake other AO roles within the business as and when required.
- A role focused on communicating effectively internally and externally with customers and stakeholders.
- Good IT skills
- A confident driver, content to drive on motorways.
- Ability to work effectively in an inclusive and diverse team of Military and Civilian staff.
What makes us great!
Alongside your salary of £24,040, Ministry of Defence contributes £6,409 towards you being a member of the Civil Service Defined Benefit Pension scheme.
You'll also have access to the following benefits;
- Learning and development tailored to your role with a dedicated minimum of 5 days per year
- 25 days paid annual leave rising (by 1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of five years’ service
- Ability to roll up to 10 days annual leave per year
- In addition to eight public holidays per year, you will also receive leave for HM The King’s birthday
- A Civil Service pension with an average employer contribution of 27%
- Parental and Adoption Leave
- Discounts on a range of services within and external to the civil service – Defence Discount Service, Civil Service societies for Sports and Leisure, Healthcare, Insurance, Motoring, Company discounts with Virgin, Vodafone, and Microsoft Office.
- In year rewards and ‘thank you’ schemes such as vouchers and gift cards
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
Our people are at the heart of everything we do at Defence Digital. It’s vital that our workforce reflects the diversity of both our audience and the wider society in the UK, so we’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and we actively seek candidates from diverse backgrounds and communities. We also recognise the importance of a good work life balance, so we do everything we can to accommodate flexible working, including part-time and job shares for all our roles. Please let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process if this is something you want to explore.
Please click 'Apply' for full details about this role!
At The Hidden Market we're committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, read our policy here. We inform clients that candidates should be evaluated on merit of their skills, experience and commercial attributes in relation to the role, and not background, disability, race, age, gender, sexual orientation, education, or any other discriminatory factor.