Head of Marketing & Communications - Bristol
Bristol Waste Company
*compare my salary
About the Job
HOURS: 40 per week, Monday - Friday
LOCATION: Hybrid Working (Albert Road Office, Bristol)
A rare opportunity has come up to lead an award-winning and highly respected marketing team - with the power to help shape the future direction of the company, and drive Bristol forward as a leading sustainable city.
We are looking for a creative and passionate marketing and communications leader who is ready to use their skills to make Bristol a cleaner and safer place for everyone.
This role is fundamental to what we want to do as we focus on our commercial growth, shift the way the business is perceived and change the way we communicate with our 800 strong local workforce.
At Bristol Waste we take care of the city, keeping it clean and safe for our residents and customers. We visit every home, clean every street, look after schools and civic buildings - every day we strive to make resident’s lives cleaner, safer, and better.
You will see us collecting the waste and recycling, cleaning the streets, running the recycling centres, removing graffiti, cleaning buildings, providing security services and managing Cash in Transit. We even grit the roads in the winter and clear fly-tips.
Serving the needs of the residents and businesses of Bristol, on behalf of Bristol City Council, is at the heart of what we do. Some only see us as a waste and facilities management business, but we see things differently; our role is to improve the lives of those who live, work or visit Bristol.
Our award-winning campaigns have changed the way citizens see waste, driving up reuse and recycling and preventing a throw-away culture. Working directly with the company leaders, you will be able to see campaigns through from inception to delivery – and watch real-time results. Slim My Waste drove a 20% increase in food waste capture and Litter Hurts saw litter in the centre drop by nearly 10%. The team’s work matters, and it can deliver real change.
Over The Next 12 Months We Want To
- reposition the business, generating a positive image of BWC with residents, customers and Bristol City Council as our Client and Shareholder
- raise the profile of our Commercial business, generating new customer leads
- improve the city’s environmental performance through behaviour change and innovation – keeping us as the number one core city for recycling in England, and
- enable two-way communication with our colleagues – we are proud of our staff and our staff are proud of what they do and we want to ensure we are open and transparent with them about the journey we are on
We need a visionary with the strategic expertise to oversee all external and internal communications functions of Bristol Waste - including brand development, media relations, marketing, public affairs, lead generation, internal comms, social media, website, campaigns and bid development.
You will bring creativity to the company’s proactive work. You will also be able to robustly and swiftly manage reactive and crisis comms that come with such a high-profile organisation that is in receipt of public funds.
See the Job Description for our key requirements for the role.
We strive to be an Equal Opportunities employer. We believe our workforce should reflect the city that we serve, meaning encouraging equality, diversity and inclusion is not just the right thing to do, it helps make us better.
We do not discriminate based on identity - race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, or marital status. We are also proud to be a ‘Ban the box’ employer, meaning we do not judge on past convictions.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single criteria. At Bristol Waste, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with everything outlined in the job specification, we encourage you to apply anyway. You might be just the right person for us.
- 5% employer contribution into the company pension scheme with “The People’s Pension”.
- Generous annual leave package with 25 days annual leave days plus 8 bank holidays.
- A BUPA Employee Assistance Programme that provides support in a variety of different areas such as mental health, financial and family related topics. We also have Mental Health First Aiders across the business.
- BUPA Health Cash Plan (we cover the cost of coverage for you), Cycle to Work scheme and an onsite physiotherapist (free to colleagues).
- Dedicated learning and development team.
- Employee recognition awards and long service awards.
- Flexible working as we recognise that everyone is different and strive to create an environment that supports all colleagues. We have introduced a hybrid working model and actively encourage part-time working, job sharing and flexibility on hours. If this interests you please do get in touch, and we can start a conversation.
At The Hidden Market we're committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, read our policy here. We inform clients that candidates should be evaluated on merit of their skills, experience and commercial attributes in relation to the role, and not background, disability, race, age, gender, sexual orientation, education, or any other discriminatory factor.