Marketing & Communications Officer - (Global Research Institutes â€“ Health & Care Technologies) - Midlothian
Heriot Watt University
*compare my salary
About the Job
Role: Marketing & Communications Officer (Global Research Institutes : Health & Care Technologies )
Grade and Salary: Grade 6, £29,605 : £33,965 per annum
FTE and working pattern: 1 FTE, 35hrs per week, Monday - Friday
Holiday Entitlement: 33 days annual leave plus 9 buildings closed days (and Christmas Eve when it falls on a weekday)
Purpose of Role
As part of the Marketing Team, you'll report into our Senior Marketing Manager for Business and Enterprise. You'll collaborate with your new colleagues and external stakeholders to build engagement with the GRI across targeted global audiences such as; academic institutions, policymakers, governmental departments and business-to-business markets. This role will allow you to showcase your excellent content creation skills; from drafting articles and podcasts, to briefing graphic designers and media teams. By using a sound working knowledge of marketing channels you'll report back on the effectiveness of your content and look for ways we can continually refine our approach.
The role will primarily support our Health & Care Technologies GRI. In your role, you'll help join the dots between industry and academics. Using your expertise, you'll help showcase our ground-breaking research, supporting the GRI to deliver the next generation of medical devices and diagnostics to address the unprecedented needs of clinicians and citizens. By developing meaningful content, using a range of marketing channels and nurturing our diverse audiences, you'll be actively progressing the adoption of new technologies within health and care.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
From communications planning to the delivery of targeted campaigns, we're looking for passionate and creative marketers able to deliver the following:
- Website : build on our website presence and routinely create and publish new content, closely aligned to our roadmap and user experience.
- Intranet : build on our internal communications channels, deploying content that helps us to engage internal audiences
- Digital marketing : including expertise in a variety of social media channels, experience using content management systems and experience developing integrated digital campaigns.
- Email marketing : creating personalised and targeted email campaigns that engage our different audiences. Experience using digital platforms like MailChimp, Pardot or similar digital mass-mail tools is essential.
- Copywriting : create engaging copy for print, web and social media channels.
- Communications : contribute to and develop effective brand-led storytelling that builds our reputation and the benefits of our research.
- Events : contribute to events including visits, conferences and workshops.
- Reporting : provide regular reports on marketing activity, working with in-house teams to show measured results. Use data management to offer valuable insights and create reporting dashboards with KPIs.
- Agency briefing and management : brief and manage external agency relationships for campaigns e.g. media agencies, design/advertising agencies, video production.
- Collaboration : work with internal stakeholders, academics and teaching staff within Heriot-Watt for effective messaging and opportunities for collaboration.
- Other duties : where required, the Officer will need to be flexible and support the other members of the team with additional duties as requested.
Please note that this list is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
Essential & Desirable Criteria
- Educated to at least SCQF level 6-7 or equivalent practical experience in the workplace
- ' experience in a marketing communications role
- Campaign marketing experience in customer acquisition and retention
- Excellent copywriting skills with the ability to write within brand guidelines
- Experience using Google Analytics, content management systems for web and mass-mail platforms
- Reporting on campaigns, web traffic, social media engagement and sales to track conversion funnel
- Analytical problem-solving skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Demonstrable ability to work quickly, flexibly, and accurately in a dynamic, changing and fast paced environment
- Demonstrable professional and proactive approach
- Strong marketing and communications expertise and networking skills
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, Hootsuite, SharePoint
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Ability and willingness to learn new digital skills and capabilities appropriate to your role and how it evolves
- Understand and adhere to information security practices particularly as it relates to personal or sensitive information
- Maintain awareness of my own digital wellbeing by being mindful of the length of time spent at a screen and the impact on mental and physical health in using digital technologies.
How to Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on Monday 04 December 2023.
Please note: Interviews for this role are anticipated to take place during week commencing 11 December 2023.
Please submit your CV via the Heriot-Watt on-line recruitment.
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g., part-time working and job share options.
Heriot-Watt University is committed to securing equality of opportunity in employment and to the creation of an environment in which individuals are selected, trained, promoted, appraised, and otherwise treated on the sole basis of their relevant merits and abilities. Equality and diversity are all about maximising potential and creating a culture of inclusion for all.
Heriot-Watt University values diversity across our university community and welcomes applications from all sectors of society, particularly from underrepresented groups. For more information, please see our website https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/services/equality-diversity.htm and also our award-winning work in Disability Inclusive Science Careers https://disc.hw.ac.uk/ .
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.
Competencies, Tasks and Responsibilities
The tasks and responsibilities listed under the following Competency Headings form part of all professional advice roles in the University at this level and it is expected that the role-holder will always perform them to at least an effective standard.
Initiative and Problem Solving
- Identify and support process improvement
- React to problems using judgement and experience to solve non- routine problems referring to line manager when required
- Set and monitor standards in own area of work
- Through continuous development, use knowledge and experience to operate at a level which is non-routine
Clear and Consistent Communications
- Always maintain confidentiality by following university policies and guidance in managing confidential information and personal data
- Using all forms of media, including social media where appropriate:
- Write/review papers, policies, guidance and briefings for internal and external audiences and stakeholders
- Write communications, [for example, as relevant to role] brochures, advertising materials, web content as appropriate
- Write letters, emails and other direct communication to individuals and groups
- Draft non-standard communication with sensitive/complex/confidential matters for review and use by more senior members of the team
- Explain regulations and procedures to colleagues
- Disseminate news and information to relevant customers and colleagues
- Ensure accurate completion of documentation, records and reports.
- Communicate and liaise with the wider university body as well as users of university services and/or external consultants/suppliers.
Planning and Organising
- Arrange meetings/workshops for internal or external customers, including room and equipment, hospitality and invites to attendees as appropriate
- Provide appropriate support for meetings and large-scale events.
- Plan annual programme of routine events
- Arrange the filing, archive, and data destruction in line with the University Data Protection & Retention Policy
- Create a positive image of the University by being responsive, prompt, and courteous when responding to requests or enquiries from customers
- Proactively seek to understand and react to the needs and requirements of the customer
- Adapt and change service to meet the requirements of the customer
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of regulations and procedures, and the implications of non-compliance on others
- Comply with University Policies when always managing or processing personal and other confidential information
- Assist in the setting of standards for the service team
- Produce reports for management as requested
- Liaise with internal and external teams, committees, bodies etc. to ensure an effective service
- Process information, for example as relevant to role, applications, offers, contracts, orders, records, payments in accordance with agreed service levels and information security procedures
- Keep working area clean and tidy in line with appropriate H&S requirements
- Contribute to and provide support and encouragement across the team
- Build cooperation and set example by always demonstrating a flexible approach
- Cover for other colleagues within the immediate team
- Participate in working groups and committees within the team, School/Directorate and across the University as required
- Train team/colleagues in operational activities within your area of expertise
- Provide advice and guidance, respond to queries, and refer more complex queries to more senior members of the team as appropriate
- Assist line manager regarding allocation and delegation of duties to staff
- Understand the appropriate tools to use when undertaking day to day tasks
- There are no line management responsibilities within this position, but you may be asked to take on management or supervisor duties on occasion as part of your personal development
- Under the direction of a senior staff member, if required, monitor the budgets of the work area/research area/grant, making sure it operates effectively within budget constraints and maintaining appropriate stocks and financial records e.g., expenditure, purchasing, equipment.
- Always demonstrate the University Values through performance and behaviour
- Participate in ad-hoc duties to support the team/University and for personal development
- Support newer or inexperienced colleagues within and outside the University by offering support, help and advice
- Positively promote the University internally and externally through positive behaviour and supporting University-wide activities
This job description is intended as a flexible framework which outlines the key general areas of activity in your position. Other activities may be required which are not outlined above but which are appropriate to the position and grade. Your personal objectives (Forward Job Plan) will also set out specific tasks and objectives for you to achieve, including objectives to help your career development.
About the Team
Our Global Research Institutes (GRIs) are critical to achieving the strategic targets of the University, from driving income generation in key research areas to growing the University's rankings across citations, reputation, and our research market share. With their alignment to solving some of the most pressing global issues, they provide a focus for the future talent needed to build economies and deliver positive impact.
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and leading-edge, relevant research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for innovation, business, and industry.
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders, and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business, and languages. Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
At Heriot Watt we are passionate about our values and look to them to connect our people globally and to help us collaborate and celebrate our success through working together. Our research programmes can deliver real world impact which is achieved through the diversity of our international community and the recognition of creative talent that connects our global team.
Our flourishing community will give you the freedom to challenge and to bring your enterprising mind and to help our partners with solutions that can be applied now and in the future. Join us and Heriot Watt will provide you with a platform to thrive and work in a way that also helps you live your life in balance with well-being and inclusiveness at the heart of our global community.
At The Hidden Market we're committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, read our policy here. We inform clients that candidates should be evaluated on merit of their skills, experience and commercial attributes in relation to the role, and not background, disability, race, age, gender, sexual orientation, education, or any other discriminatory factor.