Marketing Manager UKI (Timotei & Alberto Balsam) – Elida Beauty - London
Elida Beauty at Unilever
About the Job
Who We Are … We Are Elida Beauty
Elida Beauty is a very exciting new beauty business within Unilever. We are re-founding iconic brands by remixing them for today’s generation, making them even bigger beauty hits than they were the first time around.
Our remixes democratize beauty, because we want everyone on the ‘beauty dance floor’ with top-quality products at great value.
Driven by our colleague’s creativity, agility and close connection with consumers, customers and suppliers, we are able to unleash the true potential of our already loved brands with a fresh start. We ‘Re-Found’ them using a start-up mentality that always ‘finds a way’. Our ‘no silos’, one team approach drives both personal and business growth so that together we deliver outcomes that are music to the ears of consumers, customers, colleagues and the planet alike.
Your Role & Key Responsibilities
We are looking for a motivated and ambitious Marketing Manager to join the marketing team. An experienced brand communication and activation professional, this role will manage the Timotei & Alberto Balsam haircare brands for the UK and Ireland Elida Beauty business.
This role requires working with multiple internal partners, including cross-functional collaboration, and an array of external agency partners and creative individuals. Reporting into the Marketing Director for the Mass Hair Category portfolio, this role comes with line management responsibility for either the teams Assistant Brand Manager or Industrial placement student.
Both Timotei and Alberto Balsam are brands that have a rich heritage and are much loved by the UK consumer. As a brand full of nostalgia and positive associations, Timotei is looking to fully relaunch and drive growth into the mass wash & care category with its unique brand proposition. In contrast, Alberto Balsam is fully established as the UK’s #2 mass wash & care brand in volume. Playing a vital role by offering a recognised and trusted brand, Alberto Balsam is seen as a credible and affordable entry level for the full family. Continuing to drive total P&L growth into both brands is paramount to the health of the Mass hair portfolio, but also the wider total Elida Beauty business.
Exciting and fast-paced, this will be a busy and dynamic environment where you will be expected to work collectively with others across the business to unlock the power of our brands for both consumers and the customer. This is a wide-encompassing role that spans the full marketing spectrum, with the brand teams owning everything from brand positioning and strategy, communication and campaign development, audience definition, and media planning through to in-market activation and retailer sell-in.
A passion for consumer understanding will be key, as we seek to lead categories with emotionally connecting communication and insightful functional product performance. While you will directly support the marketing director, our approach is ‘all hands on deck’, with plenty of opportunities to hone your marketing skills by having ownership over different types of projects and initiatives. The marketing team will need to work particularly closely with commercial teams to balance the need for short-term growth and delivering against forecasts, with longer-term strategic thinking that drives our leadership in the categories we operate in.
Your Key Responsibilities
Working closely with the Marketing Director (Line Manager) and the Chief Marketing Officer you will be responsible for the delivery of brand planning, annual campaigns, and portfolio management to maximise resources.
- Brand Strategy and Positioning: Working with our strategic creative partners to ensure that each brand has a clear purpose, vision, and is answering the needs of the market and the consumer. We need to ensure that each brand occupies a distinct positioning both within the portfolio and relative to the competitive set. Ensuring the brands show up in a distinctive way against other players with a unique proposition and tone of voice.
- Insight into Action: Together with the consumer and insight manager, you will need to identify clear pain points and tensions that consumers face to both fuel comms planning, and feed into innovation. Curiosity will drive you to assess a range of potential data sources ranging from, traditional research, to social listening via our digital hub, or analysis of data points. A passion for getting under the skin of consumers interactions with brands and products will be essential.
- Audience and Communication Strategy: Working closely with media and digital hub partners you will create detailed portraits of our target audience including passion points, media habits and digital behavior. In creating and refining user personas you will assist the Marketing Director to direct media strategies and comms channel plans set against clear marketing and communication objectives and defined digital user journeys.
- Campaign Development and Activation: Gathering insights from a range of sources, including retailer and commercial inputs, you will work with our agency partners to create cut-through campaigns that stand out in the crowd, whilst maximising resource and investment efficiency. Bringing the brand purpose and personality of your portfolio to life and overseeing the media planning and execution for these brands in the UK and Ireland will be a key part of the role.
- Forecasting, Performance and Analytics: Together with the consumer insight and category team you will ensure that all brand activity is measurable, tracked and that learnings are put into action. You will need to manage the brand P&L, ensuring that marketing planning is seamlessly linking communication/activation to sales forecasts. You will be responsible for budget forecasting and spend accuracy, as well as creating business cases for new opportunities.
- Retailer Planning and Activation: Working together with shopper marketing, consumer insight and commercial teams you will ensure that brand plans are considering, incorporating, and delivering against retailer feedback and strategies, to ensure brilliant in-store and eCommerce execution. This will include thinking through NPD sell-in and how this contributes to the wider category.
- Content Creation: Collaborate with creative teams to create compelling content, including product descriptions, blog posts, videos, and visuals, that resonate with our target audience.
- Product Launches: Plan and manage successful product launches, including market research, positioning, pricing, and promotional campaigns.
We are looking for strong team players who brings…
- 5+ years of experience working in consumer-focused marketing roles delivering experience in consumer, shopper and customer understanding and communication.
- Broad experience of managing and executing brand investment campaigns, including working with, directing and providing clear feedback to media and creative agencies, understanding the consumer media funnel, the target audience behaviours and shopping journeys, and in addition demonstrating the ability to set clear KPI’s and the processes to measure accurately against these.
- Broad experience of driving innovation launches end to end, from creating clear consumer insight through to implementation and measurement. Ability to demonstrate success and learnings from navigating through an internal stage gate approval process, ensuring all stakeholders are kept well informed of all critical decisions and necessary actions.
- A base (but not expert) understanding of the importance of consumer insight and how this translates into marketing planning and execution. You will have plenty of opportunities to develop these skills further in the type of work you will be asked to do.
- Proven experience of prioritising and organising work across projects in a busy, dynamic working environment. Proven experience and ability of staying focused, whilst projects and timelines flux.
- Knowledge of the UK retail mass market, with experience linking communication planning to in-store activation and exciting the customer. This should include a commercial understanding of promotional planning, pricing, listings and shelf space, as well as innovation sell in and working to retail calendars.
- Sound understanding of the digital landscape with detailed knowledge of social media, search, planning and measurement, along with a breadth of experience across digital asset creation.
- Evidence of analytical skills in reviewing data to generate key insights.
- Clear understanding of how the P&L is structured, along with the ability to interpret and action marketing plans against financial data and commercial KPIs.
- Experience working on beauty or personal care brands, understanding the dynamics of these categories, the consumer needs and retailer ecosystems, will be an advantage but not a necessity.
- Glass half full. You will be a positive solution finder, who is driven, curious, and bold. But also honest and empathetic – this is a team-orientated environment where everyone has a voice and you must be willing to listen to different points of view.
- Excited to push boundaries, consistently looking to find new ways to grow the brands in your stable, while remaining pragmatic, and focused on real results in the market.
- Inclusive and motivated, who enjoys working as part of a team.
- Passionate and curious about consumer behaviour, personal care/beauty categories and creating brands that have meaning and purpose.
- Pragmatic and flexible, with the ability to find creative solutions within tight budgets.
- A self-starter looking for the opportunity to show what they can do. You will need to be comfortable managing projects autonomously.
To ensure that your personal creativity helps to unlock our potential, we will upskill and reskill you. We will develop leading-edge digital marketing skills and best-in-class teamwork capabilities.
Most importantly, we will give you the autonomy to use them like a ‘founder’. We will help you to think like a CEO so that we all focus on delivering our Purpose and so you drive growth as you develop. Imagine how good we will feel when we see that our creativity reignites growth in the business because consumers embrace our new ideas.
Better for our consumers, better for the world and better for each of us
The way we manufacture, package and distribute our products will be better for everyone and for the planet. We will bring a new meaning to diversity and inclusion by providing access to beauty products that suit every kind of skin and hair.
Excited about the Role?
Please apply online. Your application will be reviewed against our requirements and we will be in touch to provide you with an update on the status of your application.
By applying for this vacancy, you are confirming that you have made your Line Manager aware of your application and you are eligible to apply for new internal opportunities.
At The Hidden Market we're committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, read our policy here. We inform clients that candidates should be evaluated on merit of their skills, experience and commercial attributes in relation to the role, and not background, disability, race, age, gender, sexual orientation, education, or any other discriminatory factor.